As the year winds down to an end, I like to have a little reflection time.
Looking back at the past 12 months and pondering on things I’ve learnt, realisations I’ve had and a few nuggets of wisdom I have picked up along the way.
Isn’t it crazy how a person can learn so much over 365 days? I’m sure I will look back on this post and think damn gal, you had so much more to learn lolz. BUT you are forever learning, and that can only ever be a good thing.
Oh ohohoh before I start, I wanna shout out my lass Fifi for these snaps. They are a little bit riskaaay, but I’ve never snapped anything like this before! I wasn’t gonna pop them up on here, but thought f*ck it why the blimmin’ ek not?
Anywaaays, here are 29 things I’ve learnt in 2017.
1. Setting goals to achieve a certain follower count only usually brings negativity. Having 10 or 10,000 followers won’t alter your happiness or sense of fulfilment. It ain’t worth your energy.
2. Money spent on trains / boats / planes to see your loved ones is always worth it.
3. I prefer a few bottles of prosecco and pizza round the kitchen table with the girls over a night out.
4. As you grow older, your friendship circle will grow smaller. You will have a handful of wonderful, supportive, hilarious chums – and that’s all ya really need.
5. In tough times, always attempt to be as accepting and understanding as poss. A sunny outlook on life does WONDERS.
6. Bullet journals are great. Mine hasn’t left my side all year – have a gander at my how-to here.
7. Life is fleeting, the world is bat sh*t c r a z y. Appreciate now and soak up every single moment.
8. Following on from the previous point – don’t let terrorism stop you from living your life. I hope that one day we life in a world where it doesn’t exist, but for now – they don’t deserve your energy.
9. Even if you fancy chillin’ on the sofa, you will NEVER regret going for a run / gym sesh / class.
10. Achieving a milestone like running 10k, with your friends and family cheering you on is one of the best feelings there is.
11. Success is nothing to do with numbers (unless u counting yo’ dollars gal). Don’t let anyone make you feel like they are better / more successful than you due to their follower count. It’s a load of codswallop.
12. Watching a ballet is so incredibly beautiful and moving. Everyone should try it once.
13. You don’t need to put yourself in situations that trigger anxiety. If something don’t agree with you, your friends, family and colleagues should understand – if they don’t, tell ’em to jog on.
14. You can made DELISH and healthy pizza from a tortilla wrap, passata and a few toppings. Def one of my fave dinners of 2k17.
15. It’s OK to be honest and make a ‘complaint‘ when you aren’t happy with something. Gwaaaarn, bite the bullet – you will be happy you plucked up the courage to say something.
16. Dentists are expensive, but looking after your nashers is worth the investment – you will look back in a few years and be pleased ya spent those pennies.
17. When things you have tried to organise fall through, don’t beat yourself up about it. Trying to plan something for a group of people is stressful, people are flaky, it is just one of those tings.
18. You can use chickpea water as a subsitue to egg white… WHO KNEW?
19. You gotta be in it to win it. If you wanna try your hand at something, you gotta just go. for. it.
20. Themes on Instagram ain’t worth the stress. Post the snaps you love, get your creative juices flowing, share what you are proud of.
21. Got something on your mind? Have a chinwag. It is OK to be honest and let people close to you know how you are feeling.
22. You are gonna have differences with people, even the people closest to you. You can’t change someone, and neither should you. It is all about acceptance and maybe a lil bit of compromise too.
23. Making lunches at home / having a tea / coffee stash at work saves SO much dollar. Resisting the lure of Pret will massively help the stress at the end of the month, trust me dallin’.
24. Investing in a TK Maxx puffer jacket was one of the best (and warmest) purchases of 2K17. I wear it pretty much every day and it is SO snug.
25. Some of the most memorable experiences and sometimes the scariest (e.g discovering Thailand via moped, trekking through the jungle unaccompanied). Think first, try not to get yourself into hot water – but you will be proud that ya went for it!
26. You are NEVER too old for sleepovers.
27. The most healing meal is a veggie broth. All your fave veggies, a stock cube, boiling water and crusty bread to dip in it. So easy, cheap and comforting.
28. Being conscious of the world around you is SO bloody important. Do your best to help in any small way you can, reuse plastic bags, grab a reusable bottle, invest in ethical companies. If we all work together, we can fo’sho make a difference.
29. You are always growing. Embrace change, open yourself up to new experiences, places and people. You never know what wonderful adventures lay ahead.
What nuggets of wisdom have you learnt this year chum?